Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

How to fix a hole from inside to outside?

How to fix a hole from inside to outside?

Old 08-21-00, 01:06 AM
Visiting Guest
Red face

Hi,

I'm converting a small on-the-kitchen laundry room into a desk area. There is a hole (I guess for the dryer vent) that is about 4" in diameter that I need to fill. Since it goes from the interior (plaster) to the exterior (stucco), what should I do to fill the hole correctly? Is it more than just drywall fitting the hole, puttying it, and then matching the stucco on the outside? The house is from 1939.

Additionally, is it possible to patch plaster with drywall putty?

Thanks!

Old 08-21-00, 08:18 AM
Visiting Guest
quote:<HR>Originally posted by josh:
Hi,

I'm converting a small on-the-kitchen laundry room into a desk area. There is a hole (I guess for the dryer vent) that is about 4" in diameter that I need to fill. Since it goes from the interior (plaster) to the exterior (stucco), what should I do to fill the hole correctly? Is it more than just drywall fitting the hole, puttying it, and then matching the stucco on the outside? The house is from 1939.

Additionally, is it possible to patch plaster with drywall putty?

Thanks!
<HR>

From the DIY Patching Page:

Repairing Larger Holes in Plaster Walls using Metal Lath.
Cut a piece of metal plaster lath or heavy screen larger than the hole.
Fasten one or two wire ties to the lath and insert through the hole.
Pull the lath up behind hole and wire to a stick of wood placed across the hole on the front side of the wall.
Moisten the edge of the hole, or use a bonding liquid, and spread a base coat of patching plaster to within 1/8" of the finished surface. Roughen the surface with a stick so the finish coat will stick.
After the base layer is dry, remove the stick and clip the wires close to the surface.
Trowel on the finish layer being sure it is flush with the wall surface.
Let it dry well and then paint. If the patched area is large, apply a coat of primer before painting.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: