Advice on Textured ceiling repair

Old 08-01-03, 07:39 AM
Charlaur
Visiting Guest
Question Advice on Textured ceiling repair

I have read several posts concerning repair jobs on textured ceilings and understand that most posts recommend hiring a professional. We removed a wall from our home and have patched, mudded and sanded and are ready to retexture. We have had three estimates that range from $200 -$300 and really do not want to pay that much for this 24' x 2' patch job. So we are going to rent the hopper/compressor unit for $40 and do it ourselves. We have already been told by the companies that gave us the estimates that we have done a good job prepping and we are ready to tackle this job. We know it won't be perfect but are willing to live with it for the amount of money we will save. The ceilings are of a med/heavy texture that have been previously painted. Our intentions are to paint the entire ceiling after the repair. One question we have is...We have purchased a waterbased primer (Zinsser 123) and need advice on when to apply...Before we texture or after? Any advice or handy hints on blending the new with the old would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-03, 07:58 AM
What kind of texture is it? I'll assume for now you have knockdown. Texture first then prime. Do you have any questions regarding the texture process?

Old 08-01-03, 05:33 PM
Charlaur
Visiting Guest
We're not sure what texture it is? We thought it was "splatter"?? Could you describe knockdown?
As far as other questions we just wanted to get some helpful hints on technique, etc. We plan to practice on a sheet of drywall
before we actually do the ceiling. We have also repaired the walls and will be applying "orange peel" while we have the hopper rented. Any help with that procedure would be helpful also.

Old 08-02-03, 02:59 PM
If you are going to rent a sprayer then you must have an aggregated job like cottage cheese or popcorn. The trick here is to use the same kind of aggregate. There are fine, medium and coarse and there are styrofoam, vermiculite and perlite aggregates as well and maybe others. Medium is a good guess and perlite is a probabaly safe compormise. A few tips. Mix the mud and let it soak a couple hours before you spray it. Consistency is important and hard to describe. Never spray unless the nozzle is moving and it is ok to make more than one pass. I have heard horror stories of people respraying an existing lid and having it all fall off. This has never happened to me. You might consider spraying the patch only. letting it dry then spraying the whole ceiling. you might end up with a uniform texture and color.
Now that I've told you all this I see that you speak of a "splatter". If it has splatters that are all in the same size range then that must be what you have. If it looks like some of them have been smashed down then you must have a knockdown. It is just a splatter job that has some of the high points smashed down before the mud dries. Timing is crucial. If you knock it down too soon you just get a slick mess. to late and it is too hard. hoiwever then you can still use the trowel or knife and shave the points off and get a decent look.
VERY IMPORTANT Cover and mask. it could take you more time to do this than to spray but trust us on this it is faster to cover and uncover than to clean and cheaper too.

Old 08-03-03, 08:11 AM
You spray all texture with the same machine so its not necessarily popcorn! You need to mix your mud very thin or it wont spray very well. Knockdown is pretty easy because you dont need to be very consistant with it. Just make sure you cover the entire area. Let it set up for about 20 min. Then drag your 12 inch knife over it. Make sure to drag accross your joint. Orange peel is very different and very difficult. You have to be very consistant with your spray. Good luck!