greenboard on ceiling

Old 08-30-00, 04:49 AM
Visiting Guest
I have seen on this web-page comments on not putting greenboard on ceiling. Is this true u are not supose to put greenboard on ceiling in bathroom or anywhere????
thanks for your info

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-00, 08:51 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi rodney:

If I understand correctly there is an oily substance that is added into the mix by the drywall manufacturers when making greenboard. That is what gives the greenboard its water resistive capabilities. Unfortunately it also makes the material a bit less rigid in a horizontal application. The greenboard tends to sag between supports when installed on the ceiling due to that oily component within the board itself. That's why the drywall manufacturers recommend against it.

I've seen some posts elsewhere indicating there are people on this forum who may be knowlegable in this area. Anyone else have info. on this topic?

Pete

Old 08-30-00, 09:26 PM
Visiting Guest
Rodney, what Pete told you is essentially correct. Greenboard is structurally different than regular sheetrock. That's why it is water resistant and regular 'rock isn't. Because of this difference, greenboard does not have the tensil strength to be used on a ceiling. It will sag.

Old 09-02-00, 04:52 AM
Visiting Guest
A good coat of oil based primer should protect your new sheetrock in the ceilings from moisture damage...Mike