ledger board

Old 08-03-03, 11:27 AM
yvonne Quarles
Visiting Guest
ledger board

hello,
my deck turned out find. In fact, so well that a friend of mine wants me to help her build her deck. My house is wood, whereas her's is bricks. How do I attach a ledger board to a brick wall? Do I use lag screws to or some type of cement screws?
Thank you,
Yvonne

Old 08-03-03, 11:37 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Use tapcons or some type of masonry screws/bolts.

Old 08-04-03, 11:30 AM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Check with your local building inspector. A number of decks have been pulling away due to inadequate fastening causing injuries and deaths. Lag screws and lead anchors are not particularly strong in withdrawal and are prohibited in some places. Fastening to rim joists has even led to problems where the entire rim joist pulls loose. In these cases nails are loaded in withdrawal where thay have little strength. (Generally considered zero for structural work.) Through bolting to 2x blocking has been considered the best fix.

Old 08-04-03, 01:35 PM
yvonne Quarles
Visiting Guest
ledger board

Hello Brickeyee,
this deck wil be no more than 12" high, do the same rules apply?

yvonne

Old 08-04-03, 01:59 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
less than 12''

float the deck...ie do not attach it to the house........

Old 08-04-03, 03:44 PM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
StephenS is correct. At that height there is no reason to use the house for any support. Drop the pier below frost or two feet then stand the posts off the pier with metal hardware. Evil Orange had it last time I was there. You will have no wood touching the ground and save a lot of trouble. The double bolts holding the rim joist/beam to the posts will provide lateral stability.

Old 08-04-03, 04:23 PM
yvonne Quarles
Visiting Guest
Ledger board

Thanks Stephen and Brickeyee, You've save me a lot of hassel/ { really do appreciate it.

yvonne

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: