Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

finishing a ceiling after popcorn removal

finishing a ceiling after popcorn removal

Old 09-06-00, 07:12 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I removed the popcorn texture on my ceiling. now I need to know how to finish it to a smooth surface for paint. I know I need to patch a few places and prime, but do i need to mud the whole ceiling to get it smooth? If I just paint it, I know the tape joints will show through. HELP!!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-00, 08:16 PM
Visiting Guest
If you can see the tape joints then you will need to put bed (or 2) on them. Useing a 10 or 12 inch mud knife and pan apply the mud across the joint as smooth as you can as wide as the knife, feather both edges as best as you can and take one more swipe down. Keep your knife clean useing the inside edge of the mud pan. When moving down the joint, alway apply and swipe your mud going into the fresh mud you just layed, never start your knife in the freshly laid mud. Let it dry. You will have to skim the cieling, start in a corner and apply the mud as you did for the joint without feathering, then swipe it with the knife taking most of the mud back off, useing your pan to keep the knife clean, do the entire ceiling, same rule goes with working "into" the fresh mud.

Oh, you will want to make any repairs before you do this, most nicks and scrapes you can use a 6" mud knife, apply the mud into the spot, wipe off your knife in the pan and swipe the spot clean, it could take a couple applications, letting each appl. dry first. After your done let it dry, sand (for slick ceiling I recomend useing 150 grit), primer and paint.

When sanding, if you have any touch up to do in the mud, then is the time to do it.

Hope this helps.