Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

what is the point of tape when drywalling?

Visiting Guest

08-04-03, 05:34 AM   #1  
schlitz100
what is the point of tape when drywalling?

What does it do that mud alone wouldn't do... well besides frustrate the hell out of me?

Sponsored Links

KS

08-04-03, 06:52 AM   #2  
Tape covers gaps in drywall to make it one piece of material. The gypsum used in drywall is not strong enough by itself. It would crack if it wasn't covered in paper. Without tape your joints would crack, simple as that.

What's the problem? Why is it so frustrating? Maybe I can give you some tricks to help you.

Visiting Guest

08-04-03, 07:17 AM   #3  
schlitz100
just a first timer, it all seems well when i put it up but bubbles form when it dries.

i bought this mesh tape that is sticky and doesn't need a base coat and was going to try it on ceiling seams... where i'm having the most problems. any experience with this product?

thanks for the info though, was curious and the few people i asked didn't know.

NJ

08-04-03, 07:46 AM   #4  
How are you applying it? You may be using too little or too much mud on the first pass.

Put a coat of mud in the seam with a 3-inch knife. Make it pretty thick, but not heaped above the level of the taper at the edge of the sheetrock. Also make sure it fills the gap between the boards. You can start aross the seam, then run the knife along it, with very light pressure.

Run the tape from one end to the other, using very light pressure with the knife. Cut the other end of the tape by pushing it against the sheetrock with the edge of the knife and tearing it.

Then hold one end of the tape against the sheetrock with one knife, while running another knife along the tape. Use firm, but not extreme pressure, and angle the knife so that you're not using too much of the edge, more the flat of the blade. This should sink the tape in the mud and it'll squish out the edges along with any air.

Run the knife on each side of the tape, not touching it, to pick up the excess mud.

Run the knife again down the middle of the tape, with a little more edge to it.

Clean up the excess again, not touching the tape.

The tape should be sunk in the mud and below the edge of the board. You now might want to run a 5-inch knife over the tape, using a lot of edge and light pressure, to make sure you are below the edge of the board. Don't worry about ridges of mud, or voids in the mud beside the tape , not touched by the 5-inch knife. The next coat will cover them.

I'm sure there are other techniques out there, but since I don't drywall often,(and keep up a consistent technique), this seems to work for me.

SC

08-04-03, 07:49 AM   #5  
I use the mesh tape all the time. It negates the first, bedding step. Being mesh, it won't bubble which happens when the paper tape doesn't bed properly in the mud.

KS

08-04-03, 08:32 AM   #6  
If your having trouble with bubbles called blisters you are not putting enough mud under the tape. Thin your mud out a little if you are hand taping. If you are using a banjo thin it out a lot. Mesh tape is also good for flat joints. Not so good for angles. Some times you can cut the tape in the angle and thats like not putting tape on at all so you may want to paper tape your inside angles.

Search this Thread