Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

How do I close in an exterior wall after removing a door?

How do I close in an exterior wall after removing a door?

Old 09-10-00, 03:36 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Hi,
I know how to remove a door, but how do I inclose the space so it is a solid wall? The exterior of the house is stucco and the framing was done with 2x4s. I'm a novice do-it-yourselfer.
Thanks,
AJ

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-00, 05:44 AM
Visiting Guest
It is fairly easy to enclose a door, first thing is determine what kind os stucco, is it real or is it artificial(EIFS). You may want to call a stucco man and have him put a bid on repairing the spot since you will want it air and water tight.

Remove all woodwork around and in door, all the way to the framing and threshold, you will need to anchor a sole plate(2x4 across the bottom of opening) Ask your hardware store for proper anchors or concrete nails. Box in the opening(2x4 all the way around, nailed securely to existing frame, start with the top(header) then the 2 sides) Then 1 2x4 center of the opening. Make sure all these are flush with existing frame. Replace any exterior wallboard and call stucco man(make previous arangments) Insulate, and replace sheetrock inside, tape, bed, texture to match, prime and paint one coat on the patch, then entire wall or room.

There are general taping and bedding instructions on this site.

Good Luck.