Texturing after a repair

Old 09-11-00, 08:57 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

After doing a bit of remodeling, we decided to open up our master bath space by removing a small par***ion wall that was between the sinks and changing area, this was the easy part, after installing new blueboard and corner bead, and 3 nice smooth layers of mud, I need to match the existing texture, looks like a splattered and then lightly smoothed finish.

Aside from buying an expensive tool, has anyone figured out a simple way to closely match this texture?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-00, 03:46 AM
Visiting Guest
You yourself will not be able to match it.
Only a texturer can do that. There are many different patterns for the airless sprayer.
They are very cheap, so if you want a match,
hire one. If not, do whatever you want to do, but be sure you apply first coat on your walls before painting otherwise your paint will fall off in a couple of years.

Old 09-12-00, 04:44 AM
Visiting Guest
It sounds as if you have a splater and drag or "knockdown" texture. Jack is right, it will not be easy for the inexperienced to match. Plus the tools needed will outweigh the cost of hireing a mudman to do this. This is put on with a texture rig or a hopper with an air compressor, the mud needs to be thined just right, proper air presure and a choice of about 6 different sized orfaces (holes). To match correctly all that plus the heaviness it was sprayed has to be taken in consideration. What they do (if knockdown) is splatter the texture on, wait about 10 minutes then with a 10 or 12 inch mud knife, lightly drag it, knocking it down slightly.

Sherwin Williams sells a handgun(manual pump) that works quit well with practice, but I would not recomend doing full walls with them, they also have sray cans for touch up(8 bucks a can, covers only a few sq ft), but not for full walls.

If you are wanting to tackle this yourself, you will need to rent the equipment and I can give you detailed instructions, however without seeing the courseness it will be impossible for me to tell you the excact settings. I would, if I were you, hire a mudman or texture man to do this for best results.

Old 09-12-00, 09:09 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Hello,

I agree with the fellows who responded, but I would add that although you probably won't be able to get a perfect match, you could probably end up with a pretty good match. Also, you should check out the mud-dobber tool for a inexpensive do-it-yourself solution to texturing. Its only available online. Check the links section of this site to find it or do a search at Yahoo!

Good luck!