Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Hanging Drywall for the first time.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

09-18-00, 10:11 AM   #1  
I am having a home built and to save money, I'm going to be drywalling my basement. I've asked advice from a couple different people and the advice varies quite a bit. My questions are: I plan on using 4 x 8 sheets of 5/8" drywall on the ceiling and 4 x 8 1/2" sheets on the walls (all wood construction). First do you reccommend insulating the ceiling (16" O.C.) before I drywall it. I have some heat/AC ducts running in the joists as well as two waterlines and one drain line. If you reccomend insulating for noise and energy efficiencies, what do I use,and do I stay away from joist that contain ductwork and waterlines for fear of the insulation catching fire? Next, I know I start drywalling the ceiling first. When it comes to the walls, do I lay the sheet on it's side ( the 8' side) and start at the ceiling working down or do I stand the sheet upright(the 4' side) and start at the ceiling. My other problem is that I have a 10" wide ledge half way down the wall all around the perimeter of the basement, so my walls aren't straight. They come straight down from the ceiling about 4' down then there is is 10"ledge and then it continues straight down to the floor . I'm sure this 10" ledge will look nice once it's finished and it will give us a place for pictures, phone, etc.., but I don't know how to approach this task. Any help you can give me would be appreciated greatly. Thanks in advance. I forgot to mention that this is my first time drywalling from scratch. I've patched several walls in my lifetime, but never started from scratch.

Sponsored Links
's Avatar
Visiting Guest

09-18-00, 01:30 PM   #2  
You definitely want to insulate the ceiling if there is no heat or AC in the basement. Also, insulation will help out with noise transmission. I would use fiberglass insulation and insulate around the waterlines and ductwork.

For the walls, lay the drywall on the sides and work down.

Sheetrock around your ledge and use corner bead to keep a straight line at the edges.

Sheetrocking the ceiling will cut off access to the water lines and duct work. If you get a leak, you will have to tear some of the drywall down. Have you looked into a suspended ceiling.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

09-18-00, 02:18 PM   #3  
I would not recommed suspended cielings.
Also, be sure to drywall your cieling first, I wasn't sure from your letter if you knew this or not.
Fiberglass insulation will not catch on fire from duct work.
Good luck!

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

09-19-00, 05:06 AM   #4  
Consider real wood for the 10" ledge. Stain/paint it to match the rest of the trim work. If you have a router you can put a real nice edge on the ledge.

I take issue with the previous poster. There is nothing wrong with a suspended ceiling.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

09-19-00, 06:58 AM   #5  
Yeah, I like the wood trim idea. I want to clarify that I don't mean that suspended cielings are BAD, I just don't like the effect that it gives. I also think that they are more of a pain to install than a normal cieling. It could be that I'm jaded from having to install thousands and thousands of square feet of the stuff this last summer

Good luck!

Search this Thread