textured walls

Old 09-20-00, 11:50 AM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down

Hi!

My son's bedroom has textured walls that I can't stand! How can I make them smooth again without sanding them down? Can I lay drywall over the textured walls?
Thank you
Rhonda

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-00, 01:30 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Hello,

Yes, you could hang a layer of very thin drywall over the existing texture. If you do this, I would recommend using the thinnest material you can find. However, be aware of the problems that could arise by doing this. You may end up having to space out all your plugs and switches to get them flush to the new wall. I've done this before, but I always try to convince my customers to go for a simpler fix. If you have a moderatly light texture, you could go over it with a new texture. For example, if you have a "sand" texture, you could simply put on a custom texture using a mud-dobber and be done with it. If your texture is very heavy, this might still work, but its going to be a judgement call on your part. Sanding would be my last choice. Its messy, time consuming and difficult to get a truly smooth finish. Just out of curiosity, what is the texture that you can't stand? Is it a roller texture?? I've never much cared for the look you get from the various texture rollers out there.

Good Luck!

Old 09-20-00, 03:33 PM
Visiting Guest
In addition to spacing out the outlets, you would have remove the door trim, add spacers and re-hang the trim along with the base, window sills and retaping (or cornerbead) around the window corners, etc. I would only do this as a last resort, and if I had to do it, I personnaly would remove the rock and replace it, that is for extreme damage.

If your not that much into mudwork, I would get a couple of quotes on skimming the walls(or whatever nesasary) and retexturing, and go from there. You can save some money by painting yourself (profesionally, painting is more expensive then texturing), just be sure to prime with a drywall primer and use a quality paint.

Search this Thread