Filling in Wood Paneling Grooves

Old 09-19-00, 09:29 PM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

What is the best thing to do to fill in the grooves on wood paneling? I heard about using joint compound or a wood filler but I have also heard about that these fillers might crack over time. Any suggestions anyone?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-00, 09:48 PM
Visiting Guest
Jginnbae:

I would use joint compound, and I don't see any reason why it should crack.

Note that the only difference between joint compound and patching plaster is that joint compound has glue added to it. This glue helps the compound stick to the drywall better, but it also makes it MUCH harder to sand smooth. However, drywall sheets have a contoured edge on both sides, so your not supposed to have a lot of sanding to do when using joint compound.

Also, joint compound shrinks as it dries, so you may have to give it a second coat. I would apply the compound and scrape off any excess on the panelling. Let it dry, then run a damp sponge up and down the side of each line to remove the film of dried joint filler if you want to.

Old 09-21-00, 03:01 AM
Visiting Guest
I have been filling paneling to be painted and papered for more than 20 years now and except for the desperate home owner, who is informed of what I am about to say, I will not do these jobs. Paneling being made of wood and possibly covered with vinyl will expand and contract as time goes by and drywall compound, spackling and to some degree the shrink free fillers are not designed to tolerate this movement. Panel grooves when filled level will hairline crack on one side or the other of the groove as the paneling expands and when painted will show. The joints every four feet, even when taped with fibermesh or paper tape, may not crack but will ripple and buck up as movement occurs.
Don't get me wrong, there is a time to fill paneling and I would do my own(if I had any) to get the look I wanted in my home.
To fill paneling, prime with an oil based primer and fill with drywall compound. Spackling costs more, shrinks as much and is MUCH harder to sand. Shrink free fillers DO shrink, though not as much and are almost imposssible to sand smooth. Rare is the job that doesn't take three if not four coats of filler to completely level the grooves....Mike

Old 09-21-00, 04:42 AM
Visiting Guest
Many people like the look of the grooves in their painted paneling. Since you need to prime anyway, prime with a quality primer and then let it go for a week or so to see if leaving the grooves appeals to you and your wife.

Old 09-22-00, 02:57 AM
Visiting Guest
I second BobF's suggestion! A well done painted paneling job looks great and will give years of worry free use. Unless you prefer a higher gloss sheen, satin finish looks great on paneling. Get the the best paint you can from a top name brand line....Mike