Light fixtures

Old 09-27-00, 08:48 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

In this message, I'll call the silver base that attaches to the stud that holds the wiring that you attach your light fixture to as a 'light box'. I am sure there is a proper name, but I don't know it.

All of the plug boxes I have installed have a guideline as to how far they should extend from the stud for the drywall.

I am unclear as to how I mount the light box on the stud. Do I line it up to the edge of the box? There is the indents where the light hardware goes...should I line it up to there?

I realize it is difficult to describe via text, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-00, 09:16 PM
Visiting Guest
TonyN:

That light box is called an electrical box. It's an octagonal electrical box, but I think it's still an electrical box.

I use the holes AT THE BACK of the box!

What I've noticed done a lot in my building is that the carpenter's will simply nail a 2X4 to the side of a ceiling joist, and then screw the box to the bottom of that 2X4 so that the front of it is near flush with the finished wall. Most of the "professional" work I've seen will only hold that box in place with a single screw.

I like to do it differently. If I have a hole in the ceiling plaster 14 1/2 inches square, I cut a couple of spruce 2X2's each 16 inches long and set them on top of the plaster so that they're flush with the bottoms of the ceiling joists. I attach them to the ceiling joists with 3 inch drywall screws after predrilling and countersinking the holes so I don't split the 2X2's. Then I cut a piece of spruce 1X3 and attach that to the back of the 2X2's with drywall screws driven through the 2X2's and then through the 1X3 and I tighten a 3/32" Palnut onto the end of each drywall screw behind the 1X3 just because I'm compulsive that way. The result is that the front of the 1X3 is about 1 1/2 inch behind the front of the wall studs, or from 2 to 2 1/4 inches behind the finished wall, depending on whether you have a drywall or plaster wall. Then I just use pieces of scrap plywood to shim between the electrical box and the 1X3 to bring the front of the electrical box almost flush with the anticipated surface of the finished ceiling.

May sound complicated, but it works well and it's strong enough to hold any light fixture short of the chandelier at the Lincoln Center in New York.

Old 09-27-00, 09:19 PM
Visiting Guest
TonyN:

PS: I forgot to mention that the spruce 2X2's attached to the ceiling joists also serve as the nailers by which you attach a drywall panel over the electrical box to repair the hole in the wall.

Old 09-28-00, 12:50 PM
Visiting Guest
If it is an 8-sided metal box it is called an octagon box. It is used for junctioning wire and for attaching light fixtures.

The edge of the box juts out about 3/8" or even with the outside edge of the sheetrock. The mounting hardware is easiest attached now.

This is done whether attaching to joist or truss. "J" boxes as they are also called, do not usually get attached to studs (walls). When they do then they have additional hardware welded to them to make the attachment.

More than a Carpenter

http://www.carpenter.cjb.net

Old 09-28-00, 08:32 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thank you both for your help.

TOny