Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Drywall finishing

Visiting Guest

08-08-03, 09:09 AM   #1  
bfpierce
Drywall finishing

Novice drywaller. Finishing hanging a couple rooms of drywall, preparing to finish with tape, mud, and sanding. I was planning on using texture paint after finishing and went to Home Depot to investigate the texture paint.

The salesman told me that instead of doing any finishing work to the seams (tape, mud & sand), all I need to do is use 2 coats of primer, then roll on a coat of mud thinned with latex paint. Thus saving a lot of finishing work. I'd never heard of this method. Is is really this easy?

Sponsored Links

SC

08-08-03, 10:41 AM   #2  
No. In this case, Guideline #15 applies: All the easy ways have been taken.

You should tape and mud the joints to prevent separation. Otherwise, the finish will crack at the joint.

After you tape, mud, and sand, prime. One coat will be enough with a good quality PVA primer.

Someone else can address texture mixed with paint.

HTH

Visiting Guest

08-08-03, 05:09 PM   #3  
BSparks294
Just use the "stick on" fiberglass seam tape and use as little joint compund as possible first with a 4-5" wide taping tool and then go with a larger one. YOu will be amazed how easy it is and NO sanding required. Just knock off the rough edges with the tool.

Just rent a sprayer and spray your walls with texture and then paint. It will look professional if you take your time, but do not fuss too much with the joints.

Good luck. Brad

Visiting Guest

08-17-03, 09:45 AM   #4  
dwt1020
paint and Texture

Thinning the Mud with paint sounds interesting.. Has anyone had any experience with this.

If not, what about Other ways of coloring the Mud. I like to try to come up with a Ventian Plaster look without actually plastering it and or some variation of this technique. I've tried some of the Faux finishing techniques, but it never looks as good as the examples. That seems to take more artist talen than I have.... Plus I would like the walls to have some texture and not be completely falt...
I've also tried Behr Ventian Plaster product, it was like smearing pudding on the wall and all ended up one color....

Thanks in Advance.

KS

08-17-03, 10:01 AM   #5  
You can tint drywall mud. Get some uiversal tints at a paint or art store. Here's the thing...Tinted drywall is not very strong. You wont be able to wash it. It will soak up moisture. So even if you get the look you want you will have to put some sort of sealer over it.

Visiting Guest

08-17-03, 04:49 PM   #6  
dwt1020
Universal Tints

Coops,

thanks for the reply. I'm not familiar with Universal tints, but I'll find out about them.

I've played with the mud and different texture patterns and have noticed how weak the drywall is, as I only have to wet it a little and it will scrap right off. What kind of sealers are available and or what would you suggest. If in the end I use paint mixed with glazening do you think that be strong enough?

thanks in advance

d

KS

08-18-03, 07:10 AM   #7  
No I still think you have to put a sealer over it. Home depot carries the venetian plaster sealer which will do the trick. or you can go to a big drywall distributor and get u.s.g plaster sealer. I've used both with good results. You get a pretty good shine with the sealer.

Search this Thread