Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Protect popcorn Texture when applying knock down

Protect popcorn Texture when applying knock down

Old 10-01-00, 06:09 AM
Visiting Guest
Red face

I am in the middle of a renovation project. I have a popcorn textured celing and want to put knock down on the walls. I have the hopper gun and a compressor. This is actualy a whole apartment roughly 1200 sq ft. The question is what is the best way to protect the celing from splater when texturing the walls? Thanks for what ever info you can give.

Old 10-01-00, 12:43 PM
Visiting Guest
They make large splatter shields for this. Check with the rental place or a large paint store which sells sheetrock products.

More than a Carpenter: Home repair & construction

http://www.carpenter.cjb.net

Old 10-01-00, 07:58 PM
Visiting Guest
About an hour ago I finished my living room with an large orange-peel texture, I have existing tile ceiling, I ran 2 rows of 12' masking paper on the ceiling. For popcorn type ceiling I sometimes have to carefully staple the paper on the side in the corner of the wall and ceiling because the tape doesn't adhere well, when finished and dry carefully remove the staples and paper as to not damage the ceiling texture.

Old 10-01-00, 09:28 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Hello,

I use the splatter shield. Its inexpensive even if you have to buy one, and its very easy.

Good Luck!

Old 10-02-00, 05:03 AM
Visiting Guest
I have never used a shield for texturing, do you have a second party hold the sheild for you? When texturing my helper is usually busy mixing and keeping my lines free and moving things, etc. It would be almost impossible to hold a sheild in one hand and a hopper full of texture in the other plus it would put me way too close to the wall to be able to properly distribute the texture evenly,Plus this would have to be an extra large sheild to catch all of the splatter, much larger than the paint shields at the paint stores. If useing a texture rig, you can't use a sheild, it wouldn't be large enough (unless it went from corner to corner), plus the person holding it would be heavily textured when finished. No, I think I will stick to masking paper

Old 10-02-00, 05:48 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Heck yeah! Texture that assistant!

Just kidding, what I usually am doing is holding a paint shield attached to a pole that I press into the corner. My hopper is light enough(and I have had lots of practice) so I usually can do it with one hand. Its not elegant, but it works. I've taped the cieling too, but my problem with that is the dang popcorn texture keeps getting stuck to the tape. I don't think there is an easy way to do it, but I've just always perferred the splatter shield method. Plus I hate prep-work. Thats why I always try to "sway" my customers into getting a custom texture instead of the splatter gun.

bye

Old 10-03-00, 04:45 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool, hey whatever works for you is what I say, heck I know painters that don't even protect popcorn ceilings when spattering the walls, and tell you the truth you have to look really really hard to see it, and if it is a light orange peel, you can't see it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: