ceiling drywall

Old 10-03-00, 10:25 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I recently bought a house. It needs TLC but is very good otherwise. My question is that the ceilings are a mess. First,the sheetrock joints are not staggered leaving several sheets meeting one another. Also, the mud and tape are coming loose because I found out that it was applied and then frozen. The ceiling has been textured but I can see most of the joints and tape. Should I attempt to replace the mud and tape or just grunt and put up 3/8 sheetrock to cover it all up. If I use 3/8 please let me know the best way. I could use some good advice.
Thanks

Old 10-04-00, 02:50 AM
Visiting Guest
I will tell you what I would do. You can do as you see fit. The reason you are haveing alot of problems is the meeting of the sheetrock. Where 4 corners come together is called a railroad crossing. Unless this is corrected, it will happen again. I would tear off all the sheetrock, and replace with 5/8 sheetrock. 3/8 is to thin for a ceiling and will get wavey. Sheetrock installation is very inexpensive as is taping & texturing.
I would have a pro do it. They will, be in, and out, tear down old, install new, tape, texture, while you are still taking down the old. You will need to rent a sheetrock jack, have some help etc. Its up to you. Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: