Applying Resiliant channel

Old 10-06-00, 10:28 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I am preparing to drywall my unfinished basement ceiling and I am thinking of using a product called RC1 Channel. It's a resiliant channel that is run perpendicular to the joists at 16" o.c. It's supposed to be great for soundproofing. Has anyone ever used this product or does anyone know anything about this product? Any advice/ installation tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 10-25-00, 09:19 PM
Visiting Guest
Stoney,

I've asked what RC1 "exactly" means many times, and no one has ever been able to answer.
The RC is short for NRC--Noise Reduction Coefficient. The 1 is the reference standard. A coefficient of .80 represents 80% of the sound is absorbed (not reflected). I don't know if the 80% is a linear or geometric measurement. Doesn't matter.

Your are right, the RC1 channel references suspended drywall ceilings. (Why "channel", don't know that either.) Best guess answer I have ever heard was that the ASTM standard for sound in structures was based on drywall, the most common wall and ceiling material, and that this is the source of the term. All manufacturers of suspended or acoustic ceilings list product use partially based on "noise". The noise is measured against the standard, "Suspended Drywall."

If you use the suspended drywall system never forget, "never put a fastener into the main tee's." Fasteners only go into the cross tee's, and the angle molding. LOL

Old 10-25-00, 09:58 PM
Visiting Guest
Stoney,

Sorry, missed this. The main tee's run every 4 ft. with 4 ft. cross tee's between the mains. Same as any suspended ceiling. Typically the cross tee's are on 24 inch centers. This set up supports 16 lbs. per linear ft. Well within the weight of 5/8 drywall. Also you cannot use glue.

Both USG and Armstrong have excellent info on this system on their websites. Both also have CD's available with useful how to info. USG might take 6 to 8 weeks to get, Armstrong, less then a week. Armstrong also has a downloadable ceiling program that will lay the grid out for you and give you a supplies/product list.

Other hints: This type of ceiling is designed for drops. Much more is available then with a conventional suspended ceiling due to it's commercial applications. Your lighting options are limitless with this ceiling, expecially if you are interested in indirect lighting. And finally, do not use any adhesive. LOL

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: