paneling walls

Old 10-30-00, 09:51 AM
Visiting Guest
We have a home that was built in 1978. The home has paneled walls, with no sheetrock behind the paneling (we have checked). We are wanting to rock and texture the walls. Can we put sheetrock on top of paneling? Why or why not? Also, a few walls do have rock but have been covered with wallpaper. can we just remove the wallpaper and mud and tape and then texture the walls without having to remove wallpaper? thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-00, 04:39 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Hello,

I can think of no reason to keep you from putting on a layer of rock over the paneling. The only issue may be the difficulty in finding studs to nail the sheetrock to. I don't know how thick or sturdy your paneling is, so I don't know if nailing to the paneling will be enough to hold the rock. Its a judgement call...

Texture over wallpaper.... hmm.. I've done it but its considered unwise. Some wallpapers will not allow mud to adhere to it and some wallpaper will peel from the wall from the added weight. That being said, I have done it before, with success. But nobody would ever recommend that.
I would probably recommend you apply a thin layer of rock over the wallpaper, or if its not too strongly attached, remove it.
If you're going to texture yourself, I would recommend using a mud-dobber. If you're thinking of spray texturing, I would NOT recommend you try this yourself. It can be tricky, messy and very time consuming for an amatuer.

Good Luck!