Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Texture spray ceiling

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

10-31-00, 01:13 PM   #1  
A number of years back I rented a spray gun and did a decent job on a basement ceiling. I want to do it again myself but this time I would like to have a smooth border around the ceiling like the pros.
1. How is this done?
2. Recommendations as to the best texture products

Sponsored Links
's Avatar
Visiting Guest

10-31-00, 02:20 PM   #2  
Hurls,
What exactly do you mean by smooth border, and are you refering to the walls or the ceiling?

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

10-31-00, 04:28 PM   #3  
Hello,

First off, I would recommend using a mud-dobber instead of a hopper. I like the results better, its cheaper, and its easier.
I think by smooth edges you are refering to the clean line that is left in all corners. This is achived one of two ways. If you are applying a knock down texture, either hand applied or sprayed, you pull the knife away from the corner. If you do this right, you'll always get a clean straight corner. If you're not going to knock it down(like an orange peel style) you either spray almost but not quite to all corners, or you hold a paint shield in the corner.
I think this is what you were asking. I've had many customers that cared about making sure that no "texture" got into the corner, but most people don't care.

I hope that answers your question...

Good Luck!

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

11-01-00, 08:33 AM   #4  
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Don C:
Hurls,
What exactly do you mean by smooth border, and are you refering to the walls or the ceiling?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was referring to the ceiling border. I have since been told to run my taping knife along the edge after I spray. In any event I have now ordered the mud dopper on-line and will likely use this method as it seems a lot less mess. Based on my understanding of this tool do I need to prime the ceiling B4 I apply the mud or only after plus paint.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

11-01-00, 03:08 PM   #5  
Hurl,
I'm still not sure what you mean about the border, but if you have it solved, great. If you are going to texture with compound, prime after. If you use a texture material, eg. Tuf Tex, then usually you prime before, but check the directions.

FYI, If you use pre-mixed compound use a light or mid weigth. All purpose shrinks to much, and is prone to crack (especially this time of year.) Do not use topping. lol

Search this Thread