Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Tape and popcorn falling at ceiling edge

Tape and popcorn falling at ceiling edge

Old 11-08-00, 11:03 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

The tape is peeling on our popcorn ceiling where it meets the wall. How do I repair it? Have tried applying popcorn from a can with a knife, but doesn't look good. Problem compounded by some separation of wall & ceiling, presumably due to atmospherics. Probably can't spray popcorn unless I fix the tape first. How do I fix the tape? May just install crown moulding to cover it all up if no one has any ideas!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-00, 06:45 AM
Visiting Guest
The crown mold is a good idea, and will give the room a richer appearence.

To fix the problem, the popcorn texture will need to be scraped off wide enough for a six inch taping knife to pass, remove loose tape and re-apply, one bed coat will be nesasary on both angles (wall and ceiling), retexture to match, this will also require you to re-match the texture on the walls as well. If you are not experienced with this it is probably best left to a pro. You can find basic tapeing and bedding on this site in "Build and Remodel" in the dropdown menus at the top of this page.

Again, I would suggest a pro fix this for you if you don't want the crown molding.

---------------------------------------------------

I am assuming this is the ceiling angle (corner) you are reffering to, if it is a bed joint, it will need to be scraped enough for a 10 or 12 in. knife to pass.

[This message has been edited by Chipfo (edited November 10, 2000).]