Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Fiberglass tape for drywall vs. Paper tape

Fiberglass tape for drywall vs. Paper tape

Old 11-12-00, 04:45 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

We have just finished taping and sanding drywall in our new kitchen. On a whim we decided to try using the fiberglass tape normally used for corners (I guess) for ALL of the seams. We found it to be about 100% easier to deal with than the paper tape. We found because it is self adhesive that we were able to do all of our taping first, we didn't worry about not getting enough mud under the paper tape and having to go back, and because we were able to embed the joint compound into the tape it seems like there is less likelihood of it coming down. Now my question-outside of cost is there some inherent advantages to paper tape and are we going to regret having done things this way in the future?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-00, 06:08 AM
Visiting Guest
Probably not. Fieberglass tape was first developed for use with substrates other then drywall; cement boards and EIFS (exterior insulation and finishing systems.) There are certain situations and joint compounds where it is advised not to use fiberglass tape, where movement is expected, but I doubt that either will effect you as you've described. The biggest complaint against fiberglass tape per the gysum industry, is that joint compound cracks with telegraph through fiberglass tape due to its mesh nature, but not through paper tape.