Update and another question

Old 11-14-00, 12:09 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Gentlemen:

My basement drywall is now officially finished. It only took an experienced crew two days to complete. The money was definately well spent. I do have another question for you guys. I am going to begin applying my primer coat of paint to the walls and ceilings. There is still quite a bit of dust on the joints from all the sanding. Is there anything I can do to assure myself that the primer will stick to the joints? I was told to take a slightly wet rag and wipe all the sanded joints before I apply the primer. Is that sound advice or do I need to do something else, or nothing at all. Thank you in advance for the help, and I look forward to your response.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-00, 01:57 PM
Visiting Guest
question for you:

I am just in the process of getting some bids for drywalling. both if I hang they finish, and for them to do it all.

I am estimating around 80-85 sheets, so sound about the same size as yours. What was your approximate cost for the mud/tape job?

Old 11-14-00, 02:33 PM
Visiting Guest
I would first try to dust, sweep/broom or vacum the walls before using water. To much water and your joints will take on a smooth texture that will stick out as much as a bad joint if not primed with a leveler.

My price on 85, 8 foot sheets would be $2856 which would include the board, hanging, taping, finishing and priming. This price assumes no circustances for premium charges.

Old 11-15-00, 07:20 AM
Visiting Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bugeater:
question for you:

I am just in the process of getting some bids for drywalling. both if I hang they finish, and for them to do it all.

I am estimating around 80-85 sheets, so sound about the same size as yours. What was your approximate cost for the mud/tape job?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bugeater,

I was quoted everywhere from $2000.00 down to $650.00 . I took a bid of $950.00 which included replacing the mesh tape, mudding, sanding and completetion in three days. In my case, I had already hung all the sheets per the advice given on this site. I also had taped all the joints with mesh tape and got the first coat on all the ceiling joints as well as all the screw holes had 2 coats of mud on them. The screw holes were easy. My advice to you based on my experience, is to call around to a handfull of pro's in your area and ask them what they charge for the whole job as opposed to taping, mudding and finishing. I did run across three companies that wouldn't even provide a bid because I hung the job myself. The reason they gave was they have a certain way they like their rock put up and they use 12' or 14' sheets as opposed to the 8' sheets I used. It reduces the number of joints, hence the less mudding and finishing. If you decide to hang the rock yourself and have someone finish it, TAKE MY ADVICE, "Do not use mesh tape" The guys doing my work tore off all the mesh tape and replaced it with paper tape. I hope this information helps. I'm not sure where you are located and how that effects pricing, but these quotes are from NorthWest Indiana. Good luck!!