Hanging Shelves on Plaster Walls

Old 08-17-03, 06:09 PM
Shenked
Visiting Guest
Question Hanging Shelves on Plaster Walls

I have just moved into an older house with plaster walls. I am preparing to hang my pictures, small decorative shelves and curio shelf and have been warned against causing the walls to crack from the place of the nail/screw all the way down to the floor.

Is there a way to hang my shelves that require screws without causing the walls to split? Please help as I have never encountered this problem before in any other house I have lived in that had plaster walls.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-03, 07:06 PM
Plaster was the reason for the picture molding along the ceiling. It was there for hanging things. Most places don't have it. The plaster does better if you drill a hole and set a hanger of some sort. If you have to drive a nail, make an "X" with scotch tape to help prevent cracking of the surface. Drive the nail through the center of the "X". It won't crack all the way to the floor. Plaster is just more brittle and harder than wallboard, so you have to be careful with it.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-18-03, 07:17 AM
Plaster wont crack like that. It will chip for sure. follow Chfite's instructions and you will be fine.