Load-bearing stud column

Old 08-21-03, 06:32 AM
Jay6411
Visiting Guest
Load-bearing stud column

I have an existing stud wall in which I want to include a load-bearing stud column. I have already figured out the number of 2x studs required for the load for the project; however, I am not sure of how I should anchor the bottom of the studs to the concrete floor. Should I allow the studs to rest on the existing floor-plate 2x and toe-nail them to the plate? Or should I cut away the floor plate to allow the stud column to rest directly on the concrete and anchor them to the concrete directly?

Regards,

Jay

Old 08-21-03, 12:40 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ive never seen a 2x4 support column in a basement. Are you doing this in a basement?? You mentioned concrete floor. Usually your support column is a big metal pole which you frame around. You can box around it to make a decorative column or include it in your wall, whatever you want. These poles are a lot easier to anchor into your concrete than studs.

Old 08-21-03, 01:31 PM
Jay6411
Visiting Guest
The project is in the basement. I was going to use 2x columns because that is what was used in some professionally done work a few years ago in another part of the house. The column will be used to support one end of a LVL beam that is supported by the foundation on the other end. The LVL will support a 3-part 2x10 beam that was orininally supported by a steel pole.

The steel pole to support the LVL sounds like a good idea. These are called jack posts, right? A couple of questions: What method would you suggest to anchor them to the concrete? The one to be removed is incorporated into the floor. What method (if it is required at all) would you suggest to immobilize the adjustment screw on the end of the jackpost?

Thanks!

Jay

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: