Seams at door corners

Old 08-19-03, 07:41 PM
MKM
Seams at door corners

I was reading the section about drywall mistakes The third item on the list was
  • Placing seams at door corners
Could someone please explain this to me and provide the right approach. ( And how does this relate to windows?)

Thanks...

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-03, 08:06 PM
The proper way to hang drywall is to do what is called a boat. A boat is when you hang a full sheet over the top of a door or window and cut out the opening. If you butt your sheet up to the door jam and fill in the header part, I guarentee you, it will crack. Another reason to hang your rock horizontally.

Old 08-19-03, 08:20 PM
MKM
I'm a tad bit confused and not sure I'm understanding the message. Are you suggesting that I should hang it horizontally? ( I'm the guy with the 10' tall walls - from my post last night (4,000 sq ft) I got the impression that vertical was the way to go in my case.) Sorry for my confusion - I just want to plan this out right...
Thanks...

Old 08-20-03, 06:55 AM
As I said in my post " I always hang horizontally". You may want to re read it again for my reasons. If you hired me thats the way I would do it. I think you should hang it horizontally. Hang the ceiling first(where there is one), Then hang your top piece of wall, then your bottom, and fill in the middle. You said you are going to hire out the finishing, right? No finisher will have a problem with this. But...if you are set on hanging it vertically you are probably going to do it anyway reguardless of what I say. So learn all you can and make an informed decision.

Good luck.

Old 08-21-03, 06:23 AM
I agree with Coops as to hanging your 10 ft room horizontally. My preference is to put the rip (2' piece) either at the top or bottom of the wall. This keeps all of your seems with recessed factory edges. If you do decide to hang the room vertically & then plan on hiring out the finishing, expect to pay more as there will be much more work involved, as you'll have more seems which must be taped.

The only time I hang vertically is in doing commercial work with metal stud framing, & even in this case I only do this if it's dictated by the GC or builder.