Mold on inside walls

Old 08-23-03, 08:57 PM
safetyguy12001
Visiting Guest
Mold on inside walls

I am having a tremedous amount of trouble with mold growing along the bottoms of my walls along the bottom trim and in corners of exterior (exterior meaning those walls along the outer perimeter of the house) walls. I also have one room whereas the mold appears to be growing where the wall and ceiling join and one room where a closet intersects with an exterior wall and there is mold in that closet. We replaced the windows almost two years ago. It seemed to help slow it down but did not get rid of it completely. We have baseboard heat, which we do not use that is located directly under the windows. We live in the pacific northwest. Any help anybody could give us would be great. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-03, 07:59 AM
You can kill the mildew and mold with bleach 25% in water. Spray it on let it sit for a few minutes, then rinse. Bleach can cause color loss.

The larger issue is why it is growing on the interior walls. Mildew requires a certain amount of moisture to grow. Controlling the moisture entails discovering the source and eliminating it. If the surfaces are otherwise clean, the presence of too much moisture would be the key to the mildew and mold. Proper ventilation of the rooms in the house is important.

The moisture can eventually destroy the walls and structures within them as well as being inviting for termites and other wood-destroying organisms.

Keeping moisture off of the house by proper gutters and downspouts, drainage in landscaping, keeping large plants away from the house, and water control structures can address the obvious problems. Exterior caulking around windows, doors, and other penetrations into the siding of the house should be considered.

Checking for water inside the house would be next. Look for evidence of leaking root, pipes leaking, drains for HVAC equipment overflowing, and interior drains for showers, washers, sinks, and tubs would be some others. For this growth around the bottoms of the walls, water intruding along the floor would be a possible source.

The central issue is the moisture.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-24-03, 09:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Being from the NW I have a few things I would check. If you have a crawl space, make sure your dryer vent is not venting to the crawl space, check to assure your crawl space has a good vapor barrier installed, assure you have plenty of vents in the crawl space. Have all your downspouts draining away from the house and check for roof and window leaks. After you have done all of the easier stuff I would start opening the walls looking for a moisture source. Let us know how it works out.