Stamping? Textured Ceiling / Walls

Old 08-26-03, 09:26 AM
tmarcoux
Visiting Guest
Stamping? Textured Ceiling / Walls

Two questions for texturing:

1)

I am finishing my basement and I am considering matching the ceiling texture to the texture on the rest of my house. I believe the texture is named Stamping. According to the local paint store, they gave me a round bristled brush for the application, but they were not very specific on how to apply it. I have approximately 700 sq ft to cover.

I have already put the first coat of mud on, but didn't want to continue with a trial and error approach. So...

Do I finish the entire tapping prior to texturing?
Should I prime prior to texturing?
I heard I should thin the compound out first - however, do I roll it on or just dip and stamp?
Any other suggestions?

2)

My closets have a type of texturing on the walls that appears to be joint compound that was "pulled down" / striped. I have been told it's a quick way to finish not-so-important areas such as closet interiors. I have this in all of my existing closets. Again, what is the procedure and tools necessary to complete this myself?

Thanks in advance!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-03, 10:55 AM
Hard to say what kind of texture you have from your description. I've never heard of stamp. I've heard of stomp. You don't put stomp on with the brush you described. That is a stipple brush. Stomp you apply with a brush called a crows foot (sold at any paint/ home store). Anyway, definitely finish your drywall completely before texture. Don't need to sand unless you have some big lap marks. Don't need to prime before texture. Thin mud out about some. Just dip the brush and stomp. I use a big tray sold for concrete mixing. It's a plastic tray sold in the concrete isle at home depot.

I have no idea what your talking about in your closets. If you want you can texture the walls the same as the ceiling.

Old 08-27-03, 04:51 PM
Chip Jenkins
Visiting Guest
I have the same texture on the inside of my closets. It almost looks like it was rolled on with a masonary roller. The ceilings are all stippled.

Chip