Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Painting Disaster

Visiting Guest

08-26-03, 01:00 PM   #1  
newhomeowner13
Painting Disaster

Any help is greatly appreciated!

My entire first floor of our new house is covered with textured wallpaper. Needless to say I'd like to take it down and simply paint. I started in the hallway (in case it was too difficult) and stripped off the wallpaper. Next I scraped the residual glue off and finished by sanding the walls. Time consuming but not particularly difficult. Primed next and then finished by putting up a final finish coat of paint - light cream color, satin finish.

Well, even though I sanded the walls they aren't smooth enough! I can see bumps and ridges underneath my paint....any ideas? I'm wondering if I need to have someone come in and skim coat? I'd really like to avoid the cost but understand if there's not many options....

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

SC

08-26-03, 01:22 PM   #2  
Were the bumps and ridges there before you painted?

Visiting Guest

08-26-03, 01:32 PM   #3  
newhomeowner13
Yes, they were. The walls were smooth but you could still see where I couldn't get all of the wallpaper glue completely off & made it slightly uneven in places.

I thought that priming and painting would hide some of the imperfections but boy was I wrong! It seems like they're magnified now...

SC

08-26-03, 01:49 PM   #4  
Getting rid if the irregularities before painting is the key. Paint won't change the surface, only the color. At this point, sanding the rest of the glue off is the best bet.

KS

08-26-03, 02:48 PM   #5  
Hard to say if you have to hire someone to skimcoat everything. Maybe you could scrape the high stuff down and cover the dents with mud. One thing you should not do is paint with satin paint. Egg shell is the most sheen you want on your walls. Flat is better.

Visiting Guest

08-27-03, 04:47 PM   #6  
Chip Jenkins
When you were removing the wallpaper, did you just rip it off and then sand what was left? I removed two layers of wallpaper in my bathroom with a spray bottle of water. The fist thing I did was to pull the top layer of the wall paper off and then mist the remainder. I some areas, I had to go over it twice. The water softens the paper and the glue and you just need to pull the paper off in large sheets and then wipe the walls down with a wetted cloth. No sanding and no residual glue.

Chip

Visiting Guest

08-27-03, 07:50 PM   #7  
newhomeowner13
There was only the one layer and it came off easily, but left this dried glue underneath. I used this product from Home Depot, DIF, and rolled it on the glue. I let it sit for about 20 min and then had to scrape the glue off with like a putty knife. There was so much glue underneath & dried that water & a sponge weren't enough.

So I scraped off as much as possible, and then sanded everything. The walls look "okay" but I'm just not really happy. I don't think I'd want to do the entire lower floor if they're going to look like that.

I called a paint/wallpaper guy to get an estimate on Fri afternoon, can't wait to see how much he wants to charge! Will have to update you....

Search this Thread