Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Plaster ceiling problem

Visiting Guest

08-26-03, 07:58 PM   #1  
keygrafx
Plaster ceiling problem

A friend of mine painted his plaster ceiling with white latex paint. Now, after about a year, the latex paint is peeling off in sheets. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? (He hasn't found any leaks in the ceiling.)

Also, how can he prevent this from happening again when he repaints the ceiling? I suggested he nail up 1/8" luan sheets, spackle and paint or stain over that to hide/repair the problem. Any ideas on this?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

SC

08-27-03, 05:42 AM   #2  
Having seen that very problem before, I would have to say that the surface is contaminated and the primer and paint failed to bond. The next step is to scrape off the failing paint, wash the surface with TSP, prime with a top quality primer - sealer, such as: Zinsser 123. Then paint with a top quality, latex paint.

Alternatively, you could scrape off all the failed paint, wash with TSP, prime and apply bridging material.

If you want to apply some new surface, applying a layer of sheetrock over the plaster would beat applying plywood.

Tacking up plywood may well create more work than you want.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread