Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Installing built-in ironing board in an exterior wall

MO

09-03-03, 08:56 AM   #1  
Installing built-in ironing board in an exterior wall

We would like to have an built-in ironing board in our master bedroom, but the ONLY place we can put it happens to be an exterior wall. is this ok? we haven't purchased it yet and i'm sure there are detailed instructions included, but i wanted to first make sure our wall is do-able. mainly, will the insulation be a problem? i wouldn't imagine we'll be able to fit any insulation behind the unit, but i'm not sure. is that bad? any tips would be welcome. i've seen a faux plaster art niche thing (sorry for the technical terminology there) installed on TV before, and also a medicine cabinet, so i'm thinking it's about the same, right? (find studs, cut rectangular hole in drywall between studs with drywall saw, toenail some horizontal 2x4's above & below, set in unit, level, shim?, nail/screw in place?) i guess what i'm not sure about is what to do if, once i cut the drywall rectangle out, i'm faced with an 8-foot vertical piece of insulation.....do i whack out a section of it? and how? with scissors? and will it stay in place on it's own? come winter i don't want to feel a cold breeze coming thru the ironing board cabinet!!!

thanks for any advice in advance!

Sponsored Links

SC

09-03-03, 10:18 AM   #2  
come winter i don't want to feel a cold breeze
You may have that very problem ir you remove the insulation and replace it with the ironing board.

Cutting into an exterior wall is not trivial. Most exterior walls are load-bearing. Cutting struds would make this installation be more akin to installing a window or door in the exterior wall. Similar to this as far as structural demands are concerned.

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/w...del1/vinyl.htm

Myabe you could frame it and mount it on the surface of the wall as you would a book shelf.

Hope this helps.

MO

09-03-03, 11:21 AM   #3  
Nobody's cutting any studs!!!!

WHOA!!! Who said anything about cutting studs??? The ironing board is made to fit IN BETWEEN the studs! It's a self-contained small ironing board kit, made to be installed in a wall. Sorry - I just assumed everyone has seen these at Lowe's, etc! - guess not. It's like a skinny cabinet and when you open the door, a small ironing board pulls down and pivots, and there's a tiny shelf in it for the iron and you can get the light/outlet kit to install in it, and when you're done ironing, everything stows back into the cabinet & the door shuts & you don't see anything. They're really cool. The newer houses all seem to have them in either the laundry room or in big walk-in master bedroom closets.

So, with the structural issue out of the way, you really think I'll feel a cold breeze coming from inside it or somewhere around it?? It's basically a wood box, so the sides & back are enclosed, and there's a face frame (lip) around it so the front edges are covered. I'm planning on caulking around there before i set the unit in the hole. and regarding the insulation, can i cut it with a boxknife or scissors?

KS

09-03-03, 12:46 PM   #4  
I know what you're talking about. I think if you make sure there is insulation all around the thing and caulk the trim you will be fine.

SC

09-03-03, 01:25 PM   #5  
assumed everyone has seen these at Lowe's,
Sorry, I missed that one.

Your post mentioned nailing 2x4 and such. There was a lot left to the imagination. I try to err on the side of conservatism when it comes to assuming that there will be no problems. At times, someone has to ask the unasked.

Now all the information is out, it makes more sense to install it as you suggested.

Hope it works out for you.

Search this Thread