Baseboards

Old 09-18-03, 12:51 PM
mikelaurie
Visiting Guest
Baseboards

We are installing all new baseboards throughout our home. We just began cutting the other day and we've already run into significant expansion and contraction of the wood between cutting it and actually installing it (we cut the pieces and they were a snug fit but now that they're nailed in and I'm ready to touch up the paint, there are gaps at the corner). I'm assuming that the wood will continue to expand and contract regularly over the years so I'm hesitant to fill the gaps with anything too solid. Should I be concerned with leaving the boards some flex room and use a fleixble filler (like caulk), or will they be fine if I put in something like wood putty or a sawdust/wood glue mix?

Laurie

Old 09-18-03, 09:46 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The longitudinal shrinkage and expansion of wood is usually insignificant, approximately 0.1% If the wood came straight from a dry environment to your more humid house there could be some expansion in thickness and width on the order of 0.03 to 0.07 inches, but I would not expect it to open an outside corner much. When you finished nailing, were the corners tight? Not nailing close enough to the corner can cause the wood to bow at the corner because the walls are never flat.

Ordinarily, trim will remain stable for all intents and purposes, and can be glued when installed at corners. I have installed hundreds of pieces of trim and never had this problem from moisture.

I would look for another source for this problem.

Old 09-19-03, 11:04 AM
mikelaurie
Visiting Guest
The molding was in the house for at least 24 hours before we measured and cut. Upon measuring and cutting, when we tried to fit the pieces they were a snug fit (so snug we had to force the fit a bit) at the 45 degree inside corners (we've had no troubles with outside corners, as we've had very few outside corners to fit). After tweaking the cuts as necessary to fit them, I took the pieces outside to paint - they remained outside for about seven hours. We brought them back inside where they remained for about twenty-four hours before we installed them. It was as soon as we set them down (before nailing) that we noticed the now gap between the pieces in the inside corners. Since the pieces had fit correctly initally, and were already painted, we decided to go ahead and install despite the new discrepency in size, planning to fill the gaps. It wasn't until the next morning that we questioned what we should fill the gaps with (my initial quandry). Prehaps the paint had an effect on the size?

Old 09-19-03, 11:31 AM
C
The paint likely had no effect on the wood. The vehicle in it evaporates rapidly. Still, the effects of humidity on the length of a piece of wood are essentially nil.

I would caulk the gaps.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-19-03, 12:09 PM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
You should cope inside corners, not miter them. Coped corners are not affected by changes in dimension like mitered corners.

Old 09-21-03, 06:11 AM
I'd agree with that last reply, as I use the coping saw for tweaking the corner cuts on trim also, but at this point with the trim already being nailed, I'd go with the wood filler option to fill the gaps. Just my $.02.

Old 11-01-03, 08:30 AM
ozonetourist
Visiting Guest
I'm doing the same job in my bathroom. What is the proper way to use a coping hand saw? How do you maintain a 45 degree cut with a coping saw?

Old 11-01-03, 08:59 AM
Your angles should already be cut with a miter saw, just use the coping saw for fine tuning the cuts.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: