Plaster or Drywall

Old 09-20-03, 10:25 PM
Karen B
Visiting Guest
plaster repair

My husband and I are repairing walls. They were originally plaster in 1921 when the house was built. Since then painted, wallpapered numerous times, paneled and some even papered over the paneling.
The inside walls are to be scaped and sanded and primed to the best of our ability to be restored to painted plaster.
The outside walls that have little or no insullation between the plaster/slats and the actual outside walls. What is the top few solutions to the problem.
we have come up with the following:
1.Tear only the outside walls down, install insullation and drywall.
2.From the attic blow insullation into the walls.
3. find someone a lot smarter, with a much better idea.
Money is a factor, due to the extend of this major over haul in each room(windows, lighting, floors) Money must be used wisely.
So we are open to all different ideas and suggestions no matter how large, small or simlpe they may be.
Thanks for reading my post, and thanks for a great place to come for help.

Old 09-21-03, 06:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hello Karen & welcome to the forums. I split your post out from the thread where it was originally posted, as it is a new & seperate question.

Here's what we did in a similiar situation, first locate the studs on the interior side of all of the exterior walls to be insulated. Next you go thru an cut out about a 4"-6" slot out of the drywall or plaster between each stud about 3"-4" down from the ceiling. Now you can use blow-in insulation and simply blow the cavity between the studs full of insulation.
When you're finished insulating, you go back thru and use pieces of 1"x 4" as backing & plugs of drywall to fill the the holes back in, then fill, tape, & finish the repairs throughout the home. Repairing & finishing the fill holes is a bit labor intensive, but in our situation it was the best solution, since we had some very nasty old blow-in abstesous insulation already in the walls, which had settled so much it only came about 3' up from the floor all thru the house. We had wanted to go thru the attic as you had suggested, but there wasn't enough room to be able to drill thru the top sill plates in order to blow in the insulation from above.

Hope that helps.

Old 09-21-03, 03:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sounds like awsomedell has your solution, unless your walls are in really BAD shape. If thats the case then you should consider removing walls, insulating, then hang sheetrock. But if walls are in good condition then skip it. Also if you have shingle siding, you could do it from the outside.

Old 09-21-03, 07:21 PM
mudder
Visiting Guest
sometimes in these older houses though, there are two by four spacers between the wall studs at 4 feet and additional holes need to be made to fill the lower cavities.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: