Gaps in drywall

Old 09-21-03, 03:31 PM
U
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Gaps in drywall

Hi-

I'm finishing my basement and hanging my sheets of drywall vertically. Due to some *ahem* newbie irregularities in some of my framing, in some cases my vertical drywall sheets have gaps in between them vertically.

Most of the drywall sheets are snug against each other, but a few have 1/4" gaps, a few more have 1/2" gaps, and there are one or two sheets that have a 3/4" gap vertically in between sheets. At what point does taping and mudding not "cover up" these types of gap errors? At what width in gap should I just take the drywall sheet down, put a new stud in, and try again for a closer seam as the gap is just too wide?

If the gaps mentioned above our fixable, when I tape and mud should I take special steps with these wider than normal gaps or just tape and mud normally?

Thanks for your time in advance,
Steve

Old 09-21-03, 03:45 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Another reason to hang horizontally. How did you attach the rock to the stud with a 3/4" gap? IF your rock is screwed down completely then pre fill your gaps before tape. Pre fill means put mud into the gap to fill it. Let dry.

Old 09-21-03, 07:33 PM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Use mesh self stick tape and easysand 90 mixed to the consistancy of peanut butter. Apply tape, apply easy sand. The gap will fill as the compound goes through the holes. If you mix the compound thick there will be very little shrinkage, unlike premix.

Old 09-21-03, 10:52 PM
U
Thanks

Thanks for the solution!

Old 09-22-03, 05:39 AM
3/4" gaps, no more hanging after happy hour!

Old 09-22-03, 07:22 AM
I'm not sure who or why you are thanking anyone for a solution. Not enough mud will squirt through the holes in mesh tape to do any good. Have you successfully screwed down the rock? Whatever as long as your happy, i guess.

Old 09-22-03, 08:12 AM
U
Gaps

Coops28

Yes, the drywall is screwed to the studs securely, as the studs are 1 1/2" wide and the vast majority of the gaps are quite small except for one or two that had a 3/4" gap because I had some studs that were a bit wider than their "on 16's."

So the solution that you game me in your previous post to prefill the gaps with mud then tape and mud as usual isn't the answer to my problem? I'm confused then!

Thanks,
Steve

Old 09-22-03, 01:05 PM
Pre fill and you're good to go.

Old 09-22-03, 03:00 PM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
I never have a problem getting enough mud through the mesh tape. And I have even gone back to places I have repaired this way and done more work and cut into them. If you just smear a little on the surface it does not go through, but if you put a heavy load on the joint and strike it off with a good amount of pressure it fills gaps very well right through the mesh. If you use premix the junk shrinks so much it will take a couple coats to get it flush enough to use paper tape.

Old 09-22-03, 04:34 PM
U
Thanks

coops28 and brickeyee-

Thanks for the advice. I'm still finishing hanging drywall (and it's harder then I thought it would be), so I'll have a week or two before I get to put your advice into practice. I'm getting better at preventing gaps in the first place though!

Thanks for your time,
Steve

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: