Vinyl siding

Old 09-23-03, 08:31 PM
zipmn99
Visiting Guest
Siding on a gable end

I built a new porch on my house this summer. I had siding installed on the rest of the house several years ago. I need to get siding put on the gable end of the new porch, but I'm having a heck of a time getting someone to do it. I'm ready to do it myself. I liked the link on how to install the siding, but it stopped short of gable ends. Anybody know where to find some easy instructions on ho to do this? I also have to do the soffet around the new porch, but I think I can get that off the other site.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-03, 08:47 PM
It seems to me that installing siding on the gable ends would be the same as any other flat surface.

Old 09-24-03, 03:57 AM
Zipmn,

I split your post into a new thread, as it's really a new and seperate question. Anyway, I believe what you're asking is how do you figure the angles for a gable end.

It's not dificult at all, follow the instructions given for putting on your starter strip, as to leveling, etc. Then run J-channel under the soffet, up tight against it. To figure your angles, the easiest way is to use a short piece of scrap siding, attach it into the starter strip and mark the top edge of your reveal, which will be the bottom edge of the lock lip on the siding piece.

Now measure the distance from a known starting point to the inside of the j-channel at the bottom edge of the siding piece & at the top edge of the reveal, which you already marked. Now mark you piece to be cut accordingly with these measurements, use a straight edge and trace the diagonal line, cut & it should fall right into place. Don't be surprised if you screw up the first try, but once you get the angle figured correctly, save the scrap piece that was cut off to use as a guide for the rest of the angle ends on that side of the gable. After that you can simply measure the bottom edge of the piece your installing, mark it on a new piece & lay the correct angle piece on top of it & use as a guide to mark the angle line on the siding for cutting.

If that's still clear as mud, send me an e-mail or PM & I'll try to talk you thru it. talk you thru this. Good luck.