Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

soffits connected to foundation/concrete

Old 10-05-03, 11:11 PM
telefunken
Visiting Guest

is it ok to stud drive soffits to concrete? im framing around a large pvc pipe in my basement and the only way to do it that works for me is to connect the soffit frame to the concrete foundation wall. im concerned about this not being sturdy enough.

the soffit will actually be the top 3.5 feet of the wall. is this a bad idea?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-03, 04:43 AM
You need to use tapcons, or a tools like a hilti to attach your framing to the masonry walls in a basement. My only other comment would be concerning head space under this new soffit. Unless you have extremely high ceiling in your basement, like 10 ft, you're not gonna have much height there. If this is near a wall, I'd think about putting a closet there. Kind of need a little more info to really tell what the options for hiding the pipe might be. Post back with some more details & let's see what you've got to work with.

Old 10-06-03, 05:54 AM
Where's the framing for the wall? I don't think a big soffit like that will hold. Sorry.

Old 10-06-03, 11:57 AM
telefunken
Visiting Guest
Re: soffits connected to foundation/concrete

here's a drawing of what im talking about.

http://farewelltoarms-pr.com/soffit_october6.jpg

from the edge of the wall to where the sofits ends its about 6" roughly.

the whole wall section would be like this, about 14ft long. its a plumbing pipe that runs directly against the concrete wall/foundation. so the top portion of the wall will be connect to the ceiling joists only.

the sofit itself is about in the middle of the wall. any ideas?

Old 10-06-03, 02:22 PM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Since I ave never been a fan of hanging things like the upper part of the wall, I would fasten a ledger strip to the masonry to support the bottom of the upper wall and mount the 'soffit' on lookouts attached to the sides of the upper studs.

Old 10-06-03, 02:39 PM
telefunken
Visiting Guest
Re: Re: soffits connected to foundation/concrete

would this ledger strip be a 2x4? would it go long ways or short? and how should i attach it to the concrete?

if its not too much to ask could you provide a drawing? if not ill try and put one together of how i interupt what you wrote and post it tonight.

Old 10-06-03, 02:53 PM
Ok ill ask again. Where is the framing for the wall?

Old 10-06-03, 03:05 PM
telefunken
Visiting Guest
Re: Re: Re: soffits connected to foundation/concrete

the framing is along the concrete wall. so for 14 feet there will be an upper wall and a lower wall that arent connected by any long trimmer beams. does that make sense?

they will be connected by a soffit which is around the pipe, as documented somewhat in my drawing.

Old 10-06-03, 05:51 PM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Lay the 2x4 flat, fasten with 3 inch tapcons, notch out each stud to rest on the 2x4 . Since this is not a weight bearing application, tapcons on 16 inch centers should be fine. Attach outriggers to side of 2x4 with 2 nails each to prevent any rotation. Do the same thing for the bottom part of the wall to solidly attach the upper edge. Same outriggers on bottom. Tie between outriggers with vertical pieces of 2x lumber. Line them up with studs. Cover the whole mess with 1/2 inch drywall, do not forget the metal corner beads running horizontally.

Old 10-07-03, 12:04 AM
telefunken
Visiting Guest
Re: Re: Re: Re: soffits connected to foundation/concrete

brick,

after many read overs and some visual aids i think i finally get what your saying. im really new to this so im sorry if im annoying.

so i should make the soffit first, in the same manner they are usually made, except im attaching it to the concrete. then i build both upper and lower wall frames, notching out the wall studs to fit the sideways 2x4 thats connected to the concrete.

one question, where do i nail the notched out studs to the 2x4?

Old 10-07-03, 05:56 AM
So your saying, telefunken, that there is a pipe at about 4' off the floor running horizontally?? If this is correct, why dont you build the entire lower portion of your wall out to cover the pipe then build your upper against the wall.

Old 10-07-03, 12:46 PM
telefunken
Visiting Guest
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: soffits connected to foundation/concrete

coops, you are correct. the reason i dont want to do that is i need every inch of space i can get, and i need to have the room perfectly symmetrical. its a control room for a recording studio. here's a drawing of the room from above:

http://farewelltoarms-pr.com/croctober5.jpg

ok, now heres where it gets really interesting. part of the wall that runs along the pipe needs to be angled at 6 degrees. heres a drawing:

http://farewelltoarms-pr.com/angledwall_oct7.jpg

on half of the angled portion, the studs clear the pipe, so they can go straight up to the ceiling joists. on the other half they dont. so i need to build a soffit thats on an angle, as in the drawing. any ideas?