repair wall?

Old 10-07-03, 09:32 AM
janeq
Visiting Guest
repair wall?

I recently removed wall paper from a bathroom and the first layer of the sheet rock came off. It's a gray paper showing through. How do I repair this, so that I can paint?

Old 10-07-03, 10:43 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It can be quite a chore to get all the wallpaper and glue off the wall, as you have learned. Some damage is inevitable.

Prime the damaged area with a good primer - sealer, such as: Zinsser 123. If there are any fuzzy sections afterwards, lightly sand them smooth with 120 grit paper and prime the sanded area again. Then paint with a top quality paint.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-07-03, 10:47 AM
And after you prime the walls there may still be some repair to do. Use some light weight joint compound to fill in and smooth out.

Old 10-07-03, 05:47 PM
The picture below is the disaster to my drywall after removing the dark paneling that was there. The stripes are panel adhesive that in places is 1/4" thick. I hired a drywall professional to "putty fill" this wall. He did three coats, letting the previous one dry throughly before applying the next one. He put up a plastic curtain and applied "orange peel" texture. The job turned out perfect. You could sure try this yourself, especially in a small area like the bathroom.

http://members.impulse.net/~dmaxwell/drywall.jpg

Old 10-10-03, 09:19 PM
JadeHatesJazz
Visiting Guest
If you are not set on painting there is a very inexpensive way you can go *around*having to repair the wall.
I had the same problem and then learned about brown bagging. The actual horror spots in my wall ended up disappearing...I have had so many compliments and it takes very little talent or money! : )
I dont have time to explain it now, but if you want me to tell you more just email me : )
Jade

Old 10-11-03, 05:04 AM
At least there weren't any pesky nails in that paneling huh rainbird!

Jade - brown bagging? We on a cheap lunch date?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: