OK to frame wall with 2x2?

Old 10-07-03, 09:30 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
OK to frame wall with 2x2?

I'm closing off my furnace room to keep the adjacent room quiet (combustion duct already in place). The furnace and water heater are about 4" from the existing wall (2x4 framing). I believe the only way I can put a layer of sheetrock on the inside of the furnace room is to build my wall from 2x2 and attach the sheetrock then slide it into place. Will this work?

Thanks

Old 10-08-03, 06:12 AM
You've got just the stud wall inside the furnace rm, right? Why not stuff insulation between the studs & cover them with sheetrock? Owens-Corning makes a batted insulation product called quiet zone which is widely used in this area for furnace rooms & bathrooms.

Old 10-08-03, 07:09 AM
M
Right, but the furnace and water heater are located so close to each other and the wall itself. I see no way to secure the sheetrock adequately. I would only be able to get screws in one side and the wall is 6' wide.

Will my idea with 2x2's work?

Old 10-08-03, 07:27 AM
You will have the same problem with the 2x2's. How will you attach them to the existing wall? Plus the whole thing will be almost touching the furnace. Try to put rock on what you have. Screw what you can and nail the rest. Its gonna suck. be patient.

Old 10-08-03, 09:59 AM
M
Originally posted by coops28
You will have the same problem with the 2x2's. How will you attach them to the existing wall? Plus the whole thing will be almost touching the furnace. Try to put rock on what you have. Screw what you can and nail the rest. Its gonna suck. be patient.
I was planning on attaching the baseplate to the concrete floor with my powder nailer and the topplate to the ceiling joist directly above. The big advantage to this plan is I think I can install the sheetrock properly to my new framing and slide it into place - then nail baseplate and topplate.

This should also help decrease sound transmission into the adjacent room.

Will it work?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: