Drywall repair

Old 10-12-03, 04:28 PM
valewil
Visiting Guest
Question Drywall repair

I was in the process of replacing a vinyl floor and pulled off the baseboard trim and noticed mold under it on the drywall. The drywall itself is brittle and crumbles when you pick at it. I know there is water damage from the other side of the wall as it is at the same level as our deck and has no flashing installed. We are going to be repairing the exterior damage but I need to do the inside first as we have already started this flooring project.

The wall in question is about 6ft long and has a window in it that is approx 18 inches off the floor. There is 2 layers of plastic behind the drywall and behind that insulation. My plan is to cut out the lower portion of the drywall (about 8 inches or so) along the full length of the wall, lifting the vapor barrior to get at the studsrepair the damaged studs with epoxy if necessary, nail back down the vapor barrior and scab in a new piece of drywall and finish off.

Does this sound feasible?? I must add that I have never done this before but I have an understanding of how things work. Am I better off calling a contractor?

Old 10-12-03, 05:10 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It sounds like you have a good grip on this project.

Old 10-12-03, 07:35 PM
valewil
Visiting Guest
Thanks! Is there anything that may pose a problem for me? I have started by removing a little of the drywall just to take a look at the studs. The nails are rusty (not surprisingly) and it looks like there is some rot in at least 2 of the studs. Doesn't go all the way through though so I shouldn't have any problem repairing it.

It looks like there is a piece of wood that ran horizontally between the studs. The studs do not rest on it though. Are these supposed to be firring strips that secure the drywall at the bottom? If so, they are totally deteriorated and have to be replaced.

Old 10-12-03, 10:10 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cut out all the brittle drywall. It is bad. The drywall should fasten to the studs and the bottom plate.

The bottom plate is a 2x4 that runs the length of the wall on the floor and supports the vertical 2x4s.

Old 10-13-03, 06:43 AM
mudder
Visiting Guest
are you saying there is vapour barrier between the drywall and insulation AND between the insulation and exterior sheeting??

Old 10-13-03, 06:11 PM
valewil
Visiting Guest
The layers beginning from the inside are as follows:

1. drywall
2. vapor barrior
3. framing studs
4. insulation between studs
5. haven't gotten a good look but it looks as though it is beginning of exterior components. I do not know, can't see if there is any vapor barrior as part of the exterior components. I highly doubt it as it is most likely original clapboard siding on an 80 yr old house.

We did not install the original drywall, previous owners did. The house is a balloon framed 80 yr old house that has been remodeled on the interior. Plaster lath has been removed on the walls but looks like it was left on the ceiling. We are planning (trying to save the money) on a complete tear of the siding next year to replace as there is some rot along the bottom due to improper draining, which we will also be fixing by installing gutters which the house lacks now.

Do you see a problem?

Old 10-13-03, 06:49 PM
mudder
Visiting Guest
no no I just noticed in your first post it sounded like the vapour barrier was on both sides of the insulation. My missunderstanding

Old 10-17-03, 06:02 PM
valewil
Visiting Guest
Smile

No biggie, I was looking for opinions and I am glad you posted.

Thanks a bunch!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: