Plastered walls


Old 10-15-03, 03:55 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Angry Plastered walls

Can anyone tell me the best way for hanging/anchoring heavy items and in general, objects on plastered walls? I've yet to find a good anchor that will hold well or is easy enough to install and do the trick.

My house was built in 1850, all plaster walls and everytime (so it seems) I want to hang a heavy picture, coat rack, clock et.. it becomes a nightmare. I've tried a bunch of different anchors but everytime I drill to insert the anchor, the hole gets bigger, the plaster at the start of the hole seems to chip away more than desired...I end up having to patch and paint and start again.

Is there a shore fire method for anchoring?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-03, 05:15 AM
awesomedell's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 2,425
Have you tried a toggle bolt type of anchor? Also sometimes referred to as butterfly anchors.
Old 10-15-03, 05:21 AM
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Taylors, SC
Posts: 9,483
Do you have picture molding, that is, the wood that looks like crown mounted just below the ceiling on the wall? Its purpose is to hold pictures from the curved metal clips available for it.

One thing that helps keep plaster from cracking is to put some scotch tape where you intend to fasten. This prevents surface cracks. When I have to make a hole, I drill it with a masonry bit. My plaster is mounted on gyprock, not wood or metal lath.

There is a stick on product called Command from 3M.

These stick well and may be strong enough for your application. I have used them on glass and vinyl siding.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-15-03, 06:13 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Ive tried the toggle type but the problem is that I needed to drill a pretty large hole to get the butter-fly in...thus creating a nightmare with the plaster cracking and chipping. Once in though, it did work great.
The other problem so too speak is I have fount that some walls are 1.5" to 2." thick with plaster and using the butterfly, I then need a longer screw which translates to a bigger butterfly.

I will try putting tape and using a masonary bit rather than the standard drill bit.
Old 10-15-03, 07:02 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Molly (hollow wall ancor bolts) are available up to 3 inches. You drill a hole (use a carbide tipped masonry bit as suggested) and insert the anchor and expand it. The trick in plaster walls is to use a setting tool to expand the anchor. The little metal prongs do not work in plaster and the anchor will not expand and come up tight. The setting tool grabs under the screw head and pulls the anchor against the front of the tool. try a good hardware store. They will probably have to order it, but they are usually around $20. The tool has a pistol grip and a handle to squeeeze, along with a locking mechanism and a lock release.
Old 10-15-03, 08:18 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

You hit this one on the nose. I just bought the "molly's" and had trouble inserting them (that's what made me start this string). These were the only type (I think) I hadn't tried. They looked to me like they should do the I tried them. Well needless to say, I ended up patching the wall.

I think the key will be getting the tool as you spoke of and the correct drill bit. I'm going to give these a whirl again.

I did a search on anchors and found a good site...if anyone is interested. It talks of all the different kinds of anchors.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes