Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Removing frame from a plaster wall....

MD

10-16-03, 02:22 PM   #1  
Removing frame from a plaster wall....

My 50's house has all plaster walls, after several projects, I realized I'll never be a decent plasterer - it's an art I haven't acquired. With that knowledge, I now look at most projects with avoiding disturbing the plaster as a paramount feature.

I will be soon be replacing my medicine cabinet in the bathroom, it looks to be attached in the traditional way (screws through the cabinet into a stud). It is the original cabinet, it looks like it was install first and then plaster was applied. When I remove the cabinet, I'm concerned that some plaster will 'stick' to the frame and I may end up pulling a odd sized chunk of plaster with the cabinet. That means a messy repair that I won't do well so I'd like to avoid that.

Any suggestions? Should I score the call next to the frame? Use a sawsall & cut around it first?

Thanks!
bOB

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-16-03, 02:43 PM   #2  
brickeyee
I have seen a lot of old house that the plaster was put in after the cabinet. Usually the plaster shrinks away from the cabinet a little. If it look really tight it may have been caulked to close the gap. Try just using a utility knife and scoring around the cabinet. Loosen the screws and pull gently.
Running a sawzall around is going to cause chips no matter what. They are not called "demo saws" (as in demolition) for nothing.

CAL

10-17-03, 09:00 AM   #3  
Do you intend to replace the med cabinet or to fill the hole? If you replace it how much flange do you have to work with? Follow the instructions above then if you have to repair some plaster I think we can tell you a better way.

Search this Thread