Drywalling a curved surface...

Old 10-17-03, 05:15 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Drywalling a curved surface...

I am building some curved soffits as part of a basement remodel and would like to have a curved vertical face at the corners instead of a right angle. The soffit would be about 8" tall.

Before I construct the frame for the soffit I want to figure out the radius for the curve. I plan on using 2 layers of 1/4" sheet rock.

Anyone know how much an 8" wide strip of 1/4" sheet rock will bend before breaking?

I am also interested in any ideas for constructing the backing. I was thinking of using 3/4" plywood for the top and bottom pieces to establish the radius with blocking in between to fasten the sheet rock to.

Thanks,
DavidJ

Old 10-17-03, 05:49 PM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Wet the rock. Let it soak in for a while. It will bend around a pretty tight curve. Waste some pieces untill you have the soak time set.

Old 10-20-03, 04:51 AM
B
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
The book I have on drywall construction indicates a minimum radius of 2 feet for 1/4" drywall, wet. It also says to wet only the side of the panel that will be in compression and to space the studs at 6" o.c.

For 1/4" drywall applied dry, they give 5 feet minimum radius if board is applied with long dimension perpendicular to framing or 15 feet if long dimension is parallel to framing.

Hope this helps.

Bruce

Old 10-20-03, 05:04 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
just what I needed

Thanks
DavidJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title: