Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

I-joists (engineered beam..etc)

MI

10-19-03, 05:54 AM   #1  
I-joists (engineered beam..etc)

[SIZE=3]I-JOISTS[/SIZE] I am adding an additon to my house and would like to use 2 x 12 I-joist as trusses. I know there are joist hanger you can buy to hanger on the LVL beam, but what aout the other end (the top of wall plate). I don't think I can bird mouth (notched) the I joist. What can I do?. PLEASE HELPPPPPPPPP

Sponsored Links

MO

10-19-03, 11:07 AM   #2  
Check out Simpson Strong-tie, they make a connector for your application. Got a terrible cold today & can't think of the name of the thing at the moment, but I can give ya a link to their site.

Simpson Strongtie

Their products are sold at any good lumber yard. Good luck!

MI

10-19-03, 02:34 PM   #3  
I-joists

[SIZE=3]I-joists[/SIZE]

Thank you for your help. I am still a bit confused about "bird-mouth". After viewing simpon strong ties site, I am not sure if I have to bird-mouth or not. Its sems that if I use there products, bird mouthing not req'd; but, I don't understand how the joists can sits on the TOP-PLATE and be stable and strong without notching it. please help again.

MO

10-19-03, 08:26 PM   #4  
Shouldn't be any need to notch the top plate, unless you've got a totally flat roof on this, at least the way I'm picturing it. I see you posted this up in Architecture forum, stick with Doug & the folks up there, they'll get ya thru this dilema. Good luck.

Search this Thread