Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

wall construction / using screws instead of nails

Old 10-20-03, 12:45 PM
telefunken
Visiting Guest

im building a partition wall in my basement, using wood 2x4s.

im having some trouble nailing the studs to the top and bottom plates, would it be ok to use screws instead of 3" nails?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-03, 01:52 PM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Are you trying to toenail the studs in?
I typically build the wall flat on the floor if there is room using a top and bottom plate and make the wall 1.5 inches short. Put the pressure treated plate fastened to the floor down seperately, then stand the wall up onto the PT plate. It costs an extra bottom plate since it ends up doubled, but saves so much time it is worth it.

Old 10-20-03, 02:10 PM
The thing is with screws the break. Nails bend. But I think you will be O.K. with the screws if they are big enough. Your finishing a basement right? no load bearing structure. Some guys only use screws cuz they hold better.

Old 10-23-03, 04:20 PM
I agree the screws will be ok, built a few walls that way, long as they're just partition walls & not load bearig, as Coops said.

Brickeyee, has really given you the best possible method, if you've got the room to do it. Good luck.