cathedral ceilings

Old 10-21-03, 04:01 PM
Browncow73
Visiting Guest
cathedral ceilings

we have cathedral ceilings that we want to hand a pendant foyer light from. How do you create a "box" to support a ceiling electrical box at the peak of the ceiling. In our dining room my husband put the electrical box to the side, but with the type of light I picked out it has to hang directly from the closest part of the peak straight down

Old 10-23-03, 04:26 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You're vaulted ceiling, (cathedral ceiling) probablly has a beam running down the length of the peak. Use a small nail to test this, but I'd bet there's a solid beam up there under the sheetrock that you can hang your light from. You may have to notch it a bit to get the elec box installed. Without knowing more about the exact structure of your house that would be my best guess. This might be a time to call in a pro.

Old 10-23-03, 05:00 PM
mudder
Visiting Guest
there will be wood members running to the peak at 24 inch centers. You can build a platform across the peak attaching the box to the platform's framing. drywall and finish. Hang the light from it.

Old 10-25-03, 04:08 AM
Browncow73
Visiting Guest
we've looked at the beam running the lenght of the ceiling but isn't big enough to notch out. This is a mobile home vaulted ceiling

Old 10-25-03, 04:40 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
mobile home huh, probablly just a single 2"x6", would mudder's idea of building a box between the ceiling joists work or is there not enough clearance?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: