Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Sheetrock around onepiece fiberglass tub/shower

Old 10-24-03, 01:28 PM
Tipover
Visiting Guest

Gutted my very small(65"x70")late 50's bathroom down to the studs, and installed a onepeice fiberglass tub/shower unit. Have the ceiling sheetrocked, but am having a hard time invisioning how to do the walls around the fiberglass unit. Instructions with the Aqua-glass unit say to sheetrock or plaster over the mounting flange(lip). Problem is, that flange varies in thickness from about 1/8" to 1/4" in places, plus what ever screws are used to hold it to the studs. Do you really float the wallboard from the studs over the flange and screw head thickness, or do you shim the entire wall out the thickness of the fiberglass? Something about this system just doesn't seem right to me. I'd rather not sheetrock over the lip at all? Is there some kind of molding available to join the shower unit into the wall. I hate to lock the thing in there for fear of replacement headaches next time around. What am I missing here??? Thanks for any advise.

Kevin

Old 10-24-03, 07:12 PM
mudder
Visiting Guest
YES you shim the 2X4 where the flang is fasten and perhaps even the preceding one. Drywall overlaps the flange and I finish the drywall with plastic 1/2 bead and mud it, but there is plastic J mold you can use and many simply use the galvanised metal J mold with no problem. Caulk the space between the molding an surface of shower.

Old 10-24-03, 08:54 PM
Tipover
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by mudder
Drywall overlaps the flange and I finish the drywall with plastic 1/2 bead and mud it
Thanks Mudder,

Could you elaborate on how you finish the drywall with 1/2 plastic bead?, you lost me there. So in my very small bathroom, you would shim every stud above the top shower flange up to the ceiling, and maybe a couple studs out into the room(almost every stud)?? Thanks again, really appreciate the help.

Kevin

Old 10-25-03, 03:30 AM
mudder
Visiting Guest
some suppliers call them L bead or L mold . You spread premix or setting compound along length of drywall on the flang. Press the L mold onto it with the short leg of the L covering the cut edge of the drywall. Smooth and allow to dry. Apply two coats of mud to finish. For a picture go here and hold mouse over L Bead

Old 10-25-03, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I either put the rock over the flange and finish. Most of the time you don't even notice the slight bend. Or if its really off I hang the rock to the edge of the flange, fill in the rest with mud, Let dry. then put tape over that and finish. Whatever you do you will have to run caulk along that joint.

Old 10-25-03, 10:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Looks like Mudder & Coops have you squared away here. Only thing I could add is that you'll need to trim the bottom of the sheet that goes across the back of the unit. Your length at the ceiling will be 3/8" to 1/2" longer than the length at the top of the unit.

When I do remodels, I like to notch the studs prior to installing the unit so the flange sits flush with the wall, but a little late for that step now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: