Anchoring Studs

Old 10-25-03, 10:24 AM
cleon1983
Visiting Guest
Anchoring Studs

I'm building a frame with 2X4's that will go on a basement wall (cinder block) so I can hang drywall. I plan on nailing the top part of the frame to the studs in ceiling. At the bottom, I plan on using shims (I'll be building the frame on the floor and raising it to the wall). If the frame is sufficiently built, will that be enough support, or do I need to anchor to the cinder block and floor? If I need to anchor to the wall/floor, what kind and how long should the nails be. And, if I anchor the top and bottom part of the frame 1st, what's the best way to put the vertical studs in? The wall is about 27' long. Also, I know 16" is the recommended distance between vertical studs, but can I extend that a little without jeopardizing the quaility look of the drywall?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-03, 10:42 AM
wall

Use green wood for the bottom plate. Yes you can go 24" on centers for the studs. Put up a 2 mil-poly on the block wall then the stud wall. Dont go into the blocks, anchor at the top to the joist and the floor. Put the G/W on the floor and shims at the top. Build the whole wall on the floor then lift it up. 16p for the stud nails ED

Old 10-25-03, 11:23 AM
cleon1983
Visiting Guest
morgan

What is a 2 mil-poly? There is currently a clear sheet of plastic on the wall that I assume is from where there was water damage years ago. Cement floor (in corner) has also been redone with probably a drainage pipe put in the floor and there is hard plastic going up about 8" from the floor.

Old 10-25-03, 11:35 AM
V/B

If you have a clear sheet of plastic on the wall that would be for a V/B there . ED

Old 10-25-03, 11:50 AM
cleon1983
Visiting Guest
V/B?

Thanks, but what is V/B?

Old 10-25-03, 11:56 AM
V/B

V/B is short for vapor barrier Ed

Old 10-25-03, 10:11 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
You should put a 1" air gap between the masonry and stud wall. Go to the Basements section and search on framing a basement. Doug has a great write-up that describes the correct way to do the entire project in detail.

Old 10-27-03, 11:55 AM
cleon1983
Visiting Guest
Thanks. Didn't see the basement section before. Good stuff in there.

Old 10-27-03, 03:34 PM
basement

go to owens corning www.they have a new basement solution ED