Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Building Interior Wall, have vaulted ceiling

Building Interior Wall, have vaulted ceiling

Old 10-28-03, 08:43 PM
vacuumking
Visiting Guest
Question Building Interior Wall, have vaulted ceiling

We are building interior walls to make a 4th bedroom. The ceiling is vaulted, rising 2.5" for every 12" run. If I simply affix a 2x4 stud as a top plate to this ceiling, it will be pitched and the vertical faces won't be vertical and I won't be able to properly affix the drywall.

My thought was to shave the 2x4 top plate along the long face so that it matched the ceiling angle on the shaved face but presented a flat bottom face and straight vertical short faces. I have no table saw so I would do this with a Skil Saw...very precise work for an imprecise tool.

Yes, a good table saw would make this soooo easy. Trouble is, I won't be buying a table saw anytime soon and none of my friends have one, so I seek suggestions. Does Dixieline or other lumber companies do this sort of thing to my specifications?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-03, 05:07 AM
Some lumber yard will cut or rip lumber for you, but I doubt you're going to find one that will do this kind of cut for you. Have checked with local tool rental yards, you ought to be able to just rent a table saw, here in the midwest I know that you can rent one for about $25 a half day or $40 for 24 hrs. Good luck.

Old 10-29-03, 11:15 AM
Put the top plate on flat. Then angle cut your studs. Run your drywall up straight. screw drywall off 1 1/2" off the ceiling.