Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Texture finish on drywall is peeling off

Old 11-03-03, 07:22 AM
deerhit1
Visiting Guest

I noticed some bubbles in the texture finish on the drywall in one of my bedrooms. When I pushed on the bubbles the texture just peeled of in huge areas - 3 to 4 feet in some sections. The paper on the drywall is still there, it's just the texture finish that peeled off. The walls had previously been covered with wall paper several years ago. When I removed the wallpaper I primed the walls before I painted them. Is the wallpaper adhesive the cause of this? If I have someone respray the texture finish how do I prevent this from happening again? I'm also worried that the texture that is still on the drywall will bubble after the new coat is applied. I appreciate any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-03, 08:10 AM
What kind of texture do you have? Interesting dilemma you have. I have seen texture come off due to excessive amounts of dust. In other words the texture stuck to the dust not the wall. Have you had any water damage? The paint didn't hold either right? since you peeled it off? Thats whats peeling off. Maybe your primer failed.

Old 11-03-03, 08:34 AM
deerhit1
Visiting Guest
The texture is just the regular thin coating with the sand in it that I assume was sprayed on the drywall when the house was built 25 years ago. The paint and the finish is what is peeling off. There has never been any water damage.

Old 11-03-03, 10:24 AM
The sand finish is mixed in with the paint. You can get some at any paint store. It will be hard to match.

Old 11-03-03, 12:51 PM
deerhit1
Visiting Guest
I'm afraid if I just paint over everything with the sand in the paint, the old stuff will continue to bubble and ruin the new paint.

Old 11-03-03, 05:52 PM
House was built in the '70s, right, no big deal, scrape off all the old texture, check all sheets to insure still securely hung. Look for nails that have pulled slightly, etc. & repair as necesary. Skim coat the entire area, light sand, then wipe with DAMP sponge to remove all dust. Put on a coat of sealer/primer, then reapply desired texture finish. Most likely just an accumulative effect from yrs of humidity, etc. My $.02 worth, which has gotta be worth the price charged.