Nails popping everywhere

Old 11-06-03, 01:52 PM
tsinbad
Visiting Guest
Nails popping everywhere

I am a first-time homeowner (and never lived in a house before -- apartments my whole life). We have been living in our ~50 year old Cape Cod since January. I have been reading this site and its forums for a few months and find it to be quite enlightening and informative.

Over the past few months, my wife & I have gradually noticed that a lot of the nails in the walls (as well as the pitched ceiling in our upstairs rooms) have started to pop out. I have read some articles elsewhere where they mention screwing a drywall screw into the stud about an inch or so above/below the nail as a fix.

I have done this for a few places but as the weeks pass, more and more nails are becoming visible in almost all walls in the house. The upstairs rooms (pitched ceiling) in our Cape Cod are also exhibiting this behavior (which is worrying my about the ceiling falling down).

I want to call someone to take a look at our house (I'm guessing a structural engineer), but I was wondering if anyone here had any opinions/guesses/suggestions. I think we may also have some moisture coming into a wall from a dormer upstairs but the nail popping is not confined to the area of the house beneath it.

I'm hoping to be able to talk somewhat intelligently and understand some common issues before and when I call someone in.

Thanks!

Old 11-06-03, 03:00 PM
mudder
Visiting Guest
Are the walls and ceilings drywall and if so were the walls and ceilings drywalled just before you purchased the house? Any mold building up in the corners of the rooms. Any cracks developing quickly? Adding a screw near the popped nail is the fix alright. I,m not a big believer in drywall nails and when I use them I double them up around the perimeter untill I have time to screw in the sheets, pull out these poppers could be they're all nails instead of screws they could be flooring nails and not even dryeall nails. 1"5/8 screws in the walls have a good chance of popping and should have been 1"1/4 screws alternatively 1"1/4 screws in ceiling have a better chance of popping and should have been 1"5/8. Its usually normal to experince nail pops in 'new' construction I've never experienced nail pops in drywall fastened to existing framing except when wrong screws were used.

Old 11-06-03, 03:16 PM
tsinbad
Visiting Guest
All drywall. Drywall does not appear to be newly hung (some cracks, some patching can be found). No visible mold either. I guess I will just have to get with the screwing.

Most things I've read so far mention changes in house climate (started using the heat in the past month or so) coupled with the use of nails vs. screws & glue. They are popped nails (not screws) and I would guess that there's no glue either.

I guess my next question would be "At what point, if any, would it make sense to take the wall(s) down and rehang?" I'm guessing the answer is "almost never unless there is other damage involved."

Old 11-06-03, 04:42 PM
mudder
Visiting Guest
yeah sounds like you need to screw everything in again. Welcome to homeownership! LOL

Old 11-06-03, 05:08 PM
JRRR.
Visiting Guest
Hey mudder just a question. What is the reasoning behind using 1 1/4" screws on walls? I have always used 1 5/8" for walls and ceilings with no problems. Again this just a question.

Old 11-06-03, 06:39 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Nails are gonna pop. Can't help it. It has nothing to do with any structural problems you may or may not have. See wood expands and contracts and the nail gets loose and works its way out. You are noticing more now because you know what to look for. You have to put a screw it next to the nail pop. Be carefull not to break the paper with the screw. Either push the nail in or remove it. Now on most of the nail holes the drywall paper will be loose too. Cut the loose stuff away. Cover holes with mud.

Always use 1 1/4" coarse thread drywall screws. You can go bigger but will be overkill. On 1/2" rock you have 3/4" in the wood. Thats plenty. When I use 1 5/8" screws it takes longer cause its harder to get them to go straight.

Old 11-07-03, 12:44 PM
mudder
Visiting Guest
JRRR I got a long explaination for it from an 'engineer' once and it seems valid after pulling out my screws that popped as they were mostly 15/8 that popped in the walls. If I recall correctly it is mostly a problem in our northerly climates with temperature changes and drying of the framing behind the drywall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: