Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

attic insulation

Visiting Guest

11-08-03, 03:51 PM   #1  
FrankW
attic insulation

I'm adding fiberglass insulation in attic with no existing insulation. House is lath and plaster consutruction about 1910. Do I need a moisture barrier? I'm in Portland Oregon. HomeDepo saleperson did not think a moisture barrier was necessary.

Sponsored Links

KS

11-08-03, 04:06 PM   #2  
Vapor barrior goes between studs/joists and wall covering, e.g. drywall or plaster. No way to get one there now so don't worry about it.

Visiting Guest

11-09-03, 04:55 PM   #3  
Nucleus
You can buy fiberglass insulation that has a paper face. That face acts as a vapor barrier. I'm no expert, but I believe that is the route to take.

Good Luck.

MO

11-09-03, 07:47 PM   #4  
I'd recommend faced insulation also, take care that the face paper is cut back at least 3" from all light fixtures unless they are rated as I.C. (Insulated ceilings), which they won't be unless the originals have been replaced.

Another option, which I usually opt for, think about using blown-in fiberglass insulation. I buy from a local lumber yard & use their blower to install at no charge.

Search this Thread