Building a Closet...

Old 11-09-03, 10:39 PM
Sepe
Visiting Guest
Building a Closet...

To start, I have redone my Garage and turned it into a play room for my kids. I have two problems though. The hot water heater and Heat pump. They are located in the left and right front corners (looking at it as if you were in a car parked straight in the garage). Currently I have temporary partitions up to hide them. Nothing more than panel board on hinges and screwed into the wall. Quite tacky for a finished room. I'd like to actualy build a closet around each one, something permanant that looks good. Problem is, a regular closet with regular door would make it a real hassle for either maintenance or replacement of either pump or heater, no?

I'm looking for some ideas of how to put up what appears to be permamnat but isn't. Or is it really that bad to have only one sided access to either. If I do make actual walls and add an oversized door, how much space should I leave between the new enclosing wall and the pump/heater?

I've got an odd idea of like two walls that are actually doors and can both be swung open. But not sure how that would work if it's even possible.

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-10-03, 12:41 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Well it's an interesting idea, but really unnecessary IMO. Hot water heater, I'd build a traditional closet 2"x4" framing, with say a 30" swing out door. (opens into the main rm)

Heat pump rm, now there it might be worth it to put one wall on a hinge & roller system, but seiously, isn't the unit rated to last like your lifetime? I think I'd build a closet that will give servicemen say 12" clearance around the unit. Anchor walls securely to floor, ceiling & exterior walls, I'd only sheetrock the outer walls facing the playroom, this would give a bit more clearance inside, unless noise is an issue, then could add some insulation to deaden the sound. ok so ya got $.03 worth, still worth the price charged.

Old 11-10-03, 07:50 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Maybe you could build a wall the entire length of the room. You could put one door or bi-fold in the middle. Then you would have access to both areas and storage/closet space. I don't know if this would work with your space but just a thought.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: